Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's My 2006 Goal

Every year I set a goal for myself and this year was no different. My goal for this year was to lose weight and get in shape. The only way I felt I could accomplish that was by participating in an endurance event, like a marathon or a triathlon.

When I walked into the Team in Training meeting on January 10th, my plan was to sign up for a race, and walk away with a structured training program and an experienced coach. I walked away with a lot more. This year my goal is not only to complete the Pacific Crest Olympic Triathlon on June 25th, but also to help raise awareness and money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. This organization is dedicated to funding blood cancer research, providing education, and patient services. Thousands of people battle different kinds of blood cancer on a daily basis, and this is our opportunity to help.

I will be swimming .9 miles, biking 25 miles and running 6 miles in honor of Susan Dalton. I have known Susan and her family for over 3 years. Susan was diagnosed with leukemia 6 years ago at the age of 39, and was in remission for 2 years. She is currently hospitalized, battling her second case of Leukemia. She has had one eye removed and she has also gone blind in the other. Research dollars have increased the survival rate from 15% in 1965, to 46% today. With our help, hopefully these research dollars will help them find a cure in Susan’s lifetime.

By now, I hope you agree with me regarding the importance of this cause. Please help support me by giving generously. Seventy-five percent of all funds will go directly to research, and your contribution is tax deductible. Contributing money is a powerful way to get involved, when you can’t give your time. Many companies match charitable contributions, so please check with your company, and include matching forms with your donation. To make a contribution, please complete the enclosed donation form and return it to me by May 28th, or go to my website at www.active.com/donate/tntwaak/tntwaakPDugaw. If you would like, your donation can be made in honor of somebody special, just let me know their name, and I will race for them as well.

If you would like to support me through motivation, please check back here again and again and again. It will have updated information on my training. It is also a great place for you to write words of encouragement, like reminding me that leaving a warm bed at 5:30 am for cold Lake Washington is a good thing.

No comments: